A mission to accomplish


My name is Mayuri Patel. I was born and brought up in Kenya, East Africa. I live in the beautiful coastal town of Mombasa.I am happily married with 3 grown up kids or rather adults. I am a retired teacher. I try to keep my recipes as simple as possible. I have learnt how to cook from many women who I have met, come across or even stayed with. I didn't want some of the traditional recipes to get lost in this ever changing fast world but at the same time have included more modern versions of certain recipes.All my recipes have been tried and tasted before blogging. 


2012 had to be different as I celebrated my 50th birthday. Some throw a big party, go on a cruise, take a holiday of a lifetime etc. I wanted to dedicate my 50th year to cooking, my passion. Sometime back I watched the movie Julie Julia and just loved the way Julie diligently tried out every recipe in Julia Child's recipe book. Well, I personally am not on a mission to follow any famous chef's recipe book but have quite a different mission to accomplish daily. Before I got married, my dad gave me this huge diary to write all my recipes in.My passion for cooking probably began when I was just 10 or so.... Just can't remember exactly. I use to help my mum in the kitchen and started trying out recipes when I was 16. From 16 to now that means I have collected tonnes of recipes but have not tried them all out. So coming back to the mission, one recipe a day to try out. It will be anything from starters to desserts. I am hoping to master technology better and include photos.This blog will also help me to accomplish my other missions. Firstly it will be a tribute to my mum, mother in law and kaki (aunt) who have played a major part in teaching me how to cook. That does not mean I will not be mentioning some of my relatives and friends from whom I have learnt how to cook and picked up a lot of tips. Secondly in the process I will be handing down some of my favourite recipes to my kids, cousins, friends and family. Blogging these recipes will help me to organise the recipes in a more methodical fashion, instead of having them in the book with loads of chits and papers. Whenever I travel to UK and India, my recipe book goes with me as I know I will be cooking for my family. Now, I no longer will need to carry it around as I will be able to excess my recipes in any corner of the world. Going through these recipes will also help me cancel out the ones that don't really work out or suit the taste of my family. Blogging will also give me the opportunity to discover what other food bloggers are making and along the way improve my skills. I also want to make people aware that vegetarianism is not just about rabbit food as they seem to claim. A little innovation and any cuisine of the world can be included in the vegetarian menu.I have a huge collection of recipe books and I would like to include a few of my favourite recipes from them as I go along. As to the name of my blog, Mayuri's jikoni, I played around with a lot of ideas and finally chose this one. It is pretty simple not a mile long, and since I live in Kenya, I had to include the word jikoni which simply means kitchen in kiswahili. That's where all the action takes place and I love my jikoni.
 So please enjoy the recipes and would love to receive comments both good and bad from you.

For any queries please contact me by email  at mayuri.ajay.patel62@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Hello there Mayuri

    You have a great blog with some great recipes and awesome photography. I am reaching out to you from www.itspotluck.com a social platform for Indian/Desi food lovers. It is a community of hundreds of food bloggers with thousands of recipes and counting. You might find some fellow bloggers from India and abroad as well on our platform.

    The current services are just a beginning and we will be adding additional functionalities that will truly make this a global platform for Indian food.

    We hope you like what we are presenting and would join our growing community of Indian food lovers. Don’t wait - join today in 2 easy steps. 1 - Register at http://www.itspotluck.com/register 2 - Submit your blog. Our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/its.Potluck is frequently updated with food related news and exciting recipes so stay connected via facebook as well.

    If you face any challenges in registering please contact us at comments@itspotluck.com

    Thank you and looking forward to having you as part of itsPotluck community.

    Please ignore this email if you are already a member.

    itsPotluck
    www.itspotluck.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a delight reading about you here on the blog. I must say, you are as warm in person too. It was a pleasure to meet you and an absolute pleasure to read about your blog journey. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams