292. Pina colada mousse

Pina colada in Spanish means strained pineapple. Pina colada is a cocktail made from pineapple juice, coconut cream and rum. Pina Colada is very famous in Puerto Rico. After the famous cocktail many versions have been formulated in the form of a drink, dessert, salad or cake. I am not going to blog the recipe for the cocktail but a dessert. 
My nephew came down from Nairobi on Sunday and I wanted to make some dessert for him. I really didn't want to wait in the long queue at Nakumatt for the ingredients so decided to figure out if I could make something from the ingredients I already had in my kitchen. So out came a tin of pineapple titbits, coconut milk and jelly. That reminded me that I was suppose to try out the recipe for the pina colada mousse eons ago. That saved me a trip to the supermarket and early Sunday morning I got busy making the dessert and lemon poppy seed muffins. Feeling pretty pleased with myself for getting up so early on a Sunday, after all the preparation, I headed towards Nyali Cinemax for a movie and Ajay had to attend a medical conference. I watched Yeh Jawaani hai Dewaani. Absolutely loved the movie. It was a complete entertainment package.... rona dhona (tear shedding moments), laughter, song and dance. The badtameez dil (mine) without any guilt enjoyed vegetable pie, salad and pina colada mousse for dinner along with her nephew and hubby.



PINA COLADA 
4 Servings

½ cup pineapple titbits or finely chopped pineapple
½ cup pineapple juice
½ cup water
1 packet pineapple jelly (80 to 100g)
1 cup cold coconut cream
½ cup hung yogurt

  1. Take about a cupful of plain or greek yogurt and put it in a muslin cloth over a colander. Let the water drain out till you get a thick consistency. Placing a wad of newspaper under the muslin cloth helps to soak up the water faster.
  2. Boil the water in a small pan. Take the pan off the heat. Add the juice and jelly. Mix till the crystals dissolve. Let the jelly mixture cool for a while.
  3. Put the coconut cream in a bowl. Beat it till it appears thick. Add the hung yogurt and beat it well.
  4. Add the jelly mixture and beat well.
  5. Fold in the pineapple pieces or titbits.
  6. Pour the mixture into 4 serving bowls.
  7. Refrigerate till it sets. 
  8. Serve with a few pieces of pineapple or toasted coconut.
Tips:
  • Add a bit of rum if you like.
  • Add powdered sugar if the yogurt is a bit sour. I had to add 2 tbsps.
  • Leftover pineapple and coconut cream can be blended to make a pina colada drink.
  • I prefer using tinned pineapples for dessert. If you want to use fresh pineapple, then you will have to cook it in a bit of water over low heat till the pineapple is soft. The enzyme bromelain present in pineapples hinders the setting of any gelling agent. Cooking the pineapple destroys the enzyme. 
Senting this recipe for the following event:





You may want to check out the following :

eggless upside down pineapple cake

pineapple salsa
pineapple paleta

Comments

  1. Hi u have a lovely blog.U can visit my blog and give ur valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. This looks superb.. New one for me.. seems delicious.. Very happy to be here and happy to follow you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams