301. onion mango chutney

For my Manju foi

My memories of our annual visit to Mombasa with my family are memorable. We would normally drive down to Mombasa at night from Nairobi with my dad's friends and their families. On the way we would get to see wildlife on near the road in abundance. Sadly, this is not the case anymore. We never had to go into the National parks to see lions, giraffes, cheetahs, elephants, zebras, buffalos and so many other animals. A journey by road or rail and one saw almost everything. During our visit to Mombasa, we would stay at my aunt's (foi) place for a few days before we would head for the cottages or hotel on the beach. My foi's family was big as my fua's brothers all lived under the same roof. Besides all the fun we would have with our cousins, I remember sitting with them on the window ledge and watching the world go by, snacking on kachri bateta, and walking to Lighthouse. The other vivid memory I have is the vegetable man coming to deliver vegetables everyday. No storing vegetables in the fridge in those days. The man would always give a few green chillis, ginger, coriander and a small raw mango for free along with the vegetables. My foi would make onion mango chutney everyday. Its the most simplest and yummiest chutney. Back then we would help to grate the onion and mango with the tiniest grater to get it to look like chutney. Now machines make it easier. 
A few days ago I made some Vrindavan khichdi and remembered the chutney. So I made it and enjoyed it with the khichdi. The left over chutney was put on my toast yesterday and today am going to have it with some cutlets. What I am trying to tell you is that its the most versatile chutney around.. tangy, sweet and chatpatta.



ONION MANGO CHUTNEY
Makes about ½ cup

¼ cup grated mango (take a semi ripe one)
¼ cup finely chopped onion, white or red
½ tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp grated gur (jaggery)
½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder

  1. Put the onion and mango into a food processor and process it for a few seconds. Don't puree it completely. Leave it a bit coarse.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
  3. Before you serve it make sure the jaggery has melted.
Tips:
  • Tastes wonderful with any hot indian snack like pakoras, kachoris, samosas,or even gathias.
  • Use it as a base to create yummy snadwiches instead of butter or mayonnaise.
  • Use the any mango of your choice but it has to be semi ripe.
  • Adding sugar instead of gur does not taste the same. Try and get some gur from an Indian store.
Sending this recipe for the following events:







You may want to check out the following:
lovely accompaniments


Comments

  1. My mom used to make same chutney. Its been ages since I made it. Next week going to make it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking this easy and tempting chutney in my event...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onion chutney sounds really delicious, thanks for sending it to Lets cook preserves, jams and chutneys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams