381. carrot and apple nut bread

nutty flavour

     I don't know how I bought carrots twice during my last visit to the market. When I was emptying the basket out, I realized I bought carrots twice from different sellers! How was that possible... don't know. So this week has been pretty carroty... carrot salad, grated carrot in dangella, carrot juice. The last few I used for making a nice tea bread. I had invited my friends over to our beach studio apartment and she said that they would have coffee with us. Initially I had planned to make some dessert but since coffee was the plan, I decided to bake a tea bread which I hadn't done in a long time. I am glad I baked this bread because it turned out delicious, nutty and the best part is that it's so easy to make.I had the last remaining slice for breakfast with some tea. You can serve the bread with tea or coffee or as a dessert serve it with some whipped fresh cream, hot custard, ice cream or ice it with cream cheese.





CARROT AND APPLE NUT BREAD
Makes 1 loaf
recipe adapted from you-made-that.com

¾ cup plain flour/ all purpose flour
1 cup (tightly packed) grated carrot
¼ cup ground flax seed powder
¼ cup quick cooking oats
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda/ soda bicarbonate
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1 egg
1 large green apple ( about ¾ cup of finely diced apple)
½ cup yogurt
¼ cup chopped nuts
2 tbsp orange juice or water



  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and dust a loaf tin 9"X 11" or a smaller one (9" X 5").
  2. Peel and chop the apple into tiny pieces.
  3. Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, salt and ground flax seed together into a big bowl.
  4. Add oats, chopped nuts,grated orange peel, apple and grated carrot and mix together.
  5. In another bowl whisk egg, sugar, yogurt and juice together.
  6. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix gently, just enough so that the flour gets wet.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
  8. Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till a knife, fork or tooth pick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
  9. Remove the tin from the oven. Leave the bread in the tin for 5 minutes.
  10. Remove the bread from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
Tips:
  • Greasing and dusting means you rub butter all over the inside of the tin and add about a tablespoon of flour. Move the tin about so that it gets coated with the flour. Tap the tin upside down over the sink so that the excess flour comes out. This helps cakes, bread to come off the tin easily.
  • Add nuts of your choice. I added walnuts.
  • Lightly roast flax seed  in a pan over low heat. Let the seeds cool and then grind it into a powder or meal in a grinder.
  • I love to sprinkle the flax seed powder over my cereals and smoothies.
  • Add raisins if you like.
You may want to check out the following:

eggless coconut pineapple banana  bread

tea bread

Sending this recipe for the following event:


simply food



The big sweet tooth

Cooks Joy




Comments

  1. This bread looks delicious and perfect with coffee for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking Yummy .Thank You for sharing such a nice recipe . Must give a try

    Do visit our site .
    http://welcometotheworldofh4.blogspot.in/
    Mrs.Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutty bread in any climate is so bang on for me:)
    Moist and soft bread..>Well done my friend...
    Are you not online..Will love to chat with u sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious healthy bread, love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy and delicious bread ........ Interesting recipe!! Visit my space also dear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams