446. garlic and red pepper chutney

back to normal

    Now that the festivities are over, its nice to get back to routine. Don't get me wrong, I love Diwali. However, I tend to get so busy like everyone else and sometimes it seems that I am not going to be able to cope. Preparing mithai, full lunches, presents, treats, decorating the house, rangoli, diyas. The list is endless. I get so overwhelmed by the endless bookmarked recipes, that I want to prepare everything. Next Diwali I am going to make a list and stick to it. No stress and no fretting. The hot weather also does not help. By afternoon I am exhausted. This hot weather will now last till February. This time round for one of the Diwali lunches, where I had invited guests I wanted to make stuffed pepper as starters. Instead of buying the normal bell peppers, I decided to buy the long ones. The greengrocer assured me that they were just like the sweet peppers but only the shape was different. When I cut the pepper into half, instinct told me taste a wee bit. I did and my mouth was on fire. The peppers were hot! So a quick change of plans and I made chutney with the hot red peppers. The chutney went well with dokhras, dakor na gota and the little that is left, I am using it to make sandwiches.





GARLIC AND RED PEPPER CHUTNEY
Makes about a cup

8 -10 red peppers ( about 1 cup chopped)
1 whole large bulb of garlic
½ tsp salt
⅓ cup oil


  1. Cut the peppers into half and remove the pith (white part ) and stem.
  2. Chop into smaller pieces.
  3. Peel the garlic.
  4. Grind both the garlic and pepper in a food processor.
  5. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
  6. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and pepper mixture.
  7. Stir fry for a minute.
  8. Take the pan off the heat.
  9. Add salt and mix well.
  10. Store in a glass jar.
Tips:
  • Add more oil if you like. You can use the oil to flavour soups, dressings, parathas etc.
  • If you want the chutney to be really hot, add some red chilli powder.
You may want to check out the following:


garlic coconut chutney
red chilli sauce


onion mango chutney

Sending this recipe to the following event:



citrus spice and all things nice



citrus spice and all things nice


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams