535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams

Buckwheat savoury pancakes#Bread Bakers

Starting a healthy year

  The Bread Bakers theme for January is Ancient Grains hosted by Robin Beck of A Shaggy Dough Story. I'll be honest, had a slight idea about ancient grains but never actually paid much attention to it. I have used some of them not knowing that they are classed as ancient grains. My research began on the internet as to what really are ancient grains(heritage grains). All the grains we know are somewhat ancient as they have existed for years. However ancient grains are ones that have not changed over the last hundred years i.e have not been hybridized. They have not been modified over the years.Ancient grains have more robust texture thriving without much pesticides and fertilizers.Some of the most common ancient grains are quinoa, millet, spelt, teff, sorghum, farro(emmer), kamut(khorasan), chia, freekeh,amaranth, buckwheat,barley, wild rice. I realised that the Indian cuisine uses quite a few of these ancient grains and these days traditional recipes are modified to include buckwheat, quinoa, chia etc. There are people in remote villages that still make rotis using kamut or rather khorasan wheat.
  I decided to use buckwheat. Buckwheat is not actually a grain but is a pseudo cereal.Its not wheat or related to wheat. It is the fruit seed of the plant. Its related to the rhubarb or sorrel plant. This makes it ideal to use during fastings such as Ekadashi. Buckwheat flour has a nutty, earthy taste. Its used to make soba noodles, pancakes, galettes(crepes), blinis etc. Rich in protein and minerals like manganese,copper, magnesium, phosphorus, rich in fiber, helps to control blood sugar, gluten free, buckwheat is considered 'superfood'.
  Known as kuttu ka atta in hindi, kutto in gujarati or papparai in tamil, its used for making dosas, rotis, and the groat is used for making khichdi. I decided to make buckwheat savoury pancakes or uttapams to serve on Ekadashi day. The flour appears grey as the seeds are harvested when they turn black. Some soak the groat overnight and then grind it to make the pancake mixture. I prefer to use the flour as its much quicker.














BUCKWHEAT SAVOURY PANCAKES (UTTAPAMS)
Makes 12-14 mini ones

1 cup buckwheat flour (kutu ka atta)
½ cup peeled and grated bottle gourd (doodhi/lauki) or zucchini
½ cup peeled and grated carrot
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
1-2 green chillis, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1-1¼ tsp salt
1¼ cup water
¼-½ tsp coarse pepper powder
a pinch of soda bi carbonate (baking soda)
2-3 tbsp oil


  1.  Mix grated bottle gourd, carrot, coriander, coconut, ginger paste, chopped chillis in a big bowl.
  2.  In another bowl mix buckwheat flour, salt, pepper and baking soda.
  3. Add flour to the vegetables. 
  4. Add water and mix well. The batter should not be too runny or too thick.
  5. Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
  6. Add a few drops of oil and let it become a bit hot.
  7. Add about 2 tbsp of the batter.
  8. Lower the heat and cook the pancake (uttapam) on one side.
  9. Flip it over. Add a few drops of oil and cook the pancake till done.
  10. Repeat steps 6-9 with the remaining batter.
  11. Serve the pancakes with chutney, pickle, yogurt or a fresh salad.
Tips :
  • Use zucchini instead of bottle gourd. 
  • Add other vegetables of your choice.
  • Can add ½ part buckwheat flour and ½ part rice flour to make it more palatable for kids.
  • If you make the pancakes on a fasting day, avoid adding baking soda.
Let's check out what my fellow bakers have made using Ancient Grains :

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

BreadBakers

Comments

  1. These look great, Mayuri. I've made buckwheat blini before but I love the addition of the coconut and veg in your pancakes. Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoyed the ancient grains theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin,loved the theme though I didn't have a choice of ancient grains where I live. However,I knew it would have to be an Indian preparation with what little is available in Mombasa.

      Delete
  2. Savory pancakes, very new to me. Gonna try for today's dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Beena, do try out the recipe. Its really healthy and light on the stomach.

      Delete
  4. These look very tasty but I really enjoyed the cultural lesson included. I love learning of other cultures through food. I think it is the original universal language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Its so true that besides music, food is a universal language.I too have and still am learning a lot about other cultures through blogging. Ekadashi is a fasting for the Hindus that comes every 15 days. During that time we are not allowed to eat any grains, cereals etc.

      Delete
  5. How creative and delicious. Buckwheat is one of the ingredients that I would like to use but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie.The first time I had buckwheat crepes was in Chevreuse, France. Loved and since then have been using it but with an indian taste whenever I get buckwheat flour here.

      Delete
  6. These look wonderful! I've made buckwheat crepes and loved the flavor, so I know I'd love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, am sure you will love the savoury pancakes as it gives you the frredom to add veggies of your choice and its super healthy.

      Delete
  7. Love the idea of making oothappams with buckwheat flour. They are so much more nutritious than the regular ones. Good choice Mayuri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pavani, try them out, they do taste different. I didn't add onion as I made it for Ekadashi, but you can add whatever you like.

      Delete
  8. Those are really interesting and I love your explanation of buckwheat as well as your cultural story! I love savory too. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. Buckwheat is one of my favourite new ingredient besides quinoa. Love it.

      Delete
  9. Really lovely Mayuri. Savoury and unique. I had a similar idea with my choice of flours but thought Id try the same next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing Idea. I always make only dosa or flat bread, but this is beyond yummy!! Going to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ansh. My next on the list is crepes(dosa) with buckwheat.The pancakes is a healthy meal when accompanied with salad.

      Delete
  11. I love your uttapam pan, Mayuri! Not that I need another pan, but I bet I can find one here in Dubai. :) And then I can try your recipe the right way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy, I got the pan from India. However, you really don't need a special pan to make the uttapam. Its like making pancakes on a normal pan as the batter will not spread out too much. I made mini ones but normal uttapams served in restaurants are the size of a roti or paratha.

      Delete
  12. These pancakes are really healthy and delicious I make buckwheat theplas, they taste great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nayna. Buckwheat theplas sounds great. Will try them out.

      Delete
  13. I never think to have savoury pancakes, but these do look very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danii savoury pancakes make a great meal option,healthy and filling along with some salad. Try them. I've also make chickpea flour savoury pancakes.
    http://mayurisjikoni.blogspot.co.ke/2015/07/515-chickpea-flour-savoury-pancake.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yours look lovely... fresh uttapams for breakfast... divine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious, a great twist on traditional pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Healthy and delicious uttappams dr.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam