539. Vitumbua (coconut rice pancake balls)

Vitumbua #BreadBakers

From the East Coast of Africa

Vitumbua (singular kitumbua) pronounced as vee toom booa are the local answer to pancakes/ doughnuts in East Africa especially in Tanzania and the coastal part of Kenya.Instead of being deep fried, they are made in a special vitumbua griddle/pan. Its similar to the aebleskiver pan or appe pan or paniyaram pan. Vitumbua is a common Tanzanian street food and found during Ramadhan in Mombasa. Its usually served with hot tea as breakfast. Beneath the crust the interior is light and fluffy, melt in the mouth texture. Most of the East African Coast cuisine has been influenced by Indian, Yemeni and Omani culture so perhaps vitumbua too may have been brought here by one of the settlers. The Bread Bakers theme for February is Griddle Breads hosted by Ansh of SpicerootsThank you Ansh for such a wonderful theme. As soon as I read griddle bread, I knew I had to post the recipe of Vitumbua and share a bit of the East African cuisine with the fellow bakers.  I love to turn the humble breakfast pancake balls into a dessert. Served with melted chocolate, drizzled with honey/maple syrup or a fruity syrup, its simply delicious. I love the fact that it requires very little oil to prepare these soft pancake balls.













VITUMBUA (COCONUT RICE PANCAKE BALLS)
Makes about 18

For Vitumbua :
1 cup rice
½ tsp instant dry active yeast
½ cup coconut milk
3 tbsp grated coconut
¼ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp melted butter
2-3 tsp oil 

For Chocolate sauce:
50 g chocolate
1-2 tbsp coconut milk

For the orange syrup :
½ cup sugar
½ cup fresh orange juice
1 tbsp orange zest

Preparation of Vitumbua :
  1. Soak rice in warm water overnight.
  2. Next day, drain out the water.
  3. Add rice, warm coconut milk and coconut into a blender jug.
  4. Process the rice to a smooth consistency. Pour the batter into a bowl.
  5. Add yeast, sugar, salt,butter and cardamom powder to the batter and mix well.
  6. Cover the bowl with a cling film and set it in a warm place for the batter to ferment.
  7. This will take about 1-1½ hours depending on how warm your kitchen is.
  8. The batter is ready to use when it nearly doubled in size and bubbles on top appear.
  9. Heat the pan (appe, paniyaram, vitumbua or aebleskiver pan) over low heat.
  10. Pour a drop of oil in each of the cavities.
  11. Fill the cavity with the batter, three quarter full.
  12. Cover the pan with a lid. 
  13. Let the vitumbua cook till it turns light golden in colour.
  14. Flip it over carefully using a teaspoon or a prawn fork(my ideal tool).
  15. Let the other side cook till its golden in colour.
  16. Vitumbua are ready. You will not be able to resist trying out the hot pancake balls.
  17. Serve vitumbua as it is with hot tea, or with honey, maple syrup. You can dust the vitumbua with icing sugar or serve it with chocolate sauce and orange syrup. 
Prepare the chocolate and sauce while the batter is fermenting.

Preparation of chocolate sauce :
  1. Melt chocolate in the microwave oven or over hot water (bain marie).
  2. Add coconut milk and mix well.
  3. Set it aside till required.
Preparation of orange syrup :
  1. Heat orange juice and sugar in a pan over low heat till the sugar melts and the syrup becomes slightly thick.
  2. Take it off the heat and add the orange zest. Mix well. Let the syrup cool.
Tips:
  • Prepare a fruit syrup of your choice but orange and chocolate is a heavenly combination.
  • Make sure the batter is smooth. If it feels grainy, the vitumbua will not be soft.
  • Use frozen grated coconut if you don't get fresh one. 
  • Its important to cook the vitumbua or low heat because you don't want the inside to remain raw.
You may want to check out the following :

Griddle Breads




BreadBakers



#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.



We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.



If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

Comments

  1. I have one of these pans that my sister brought me from the Netherlands but rarely use it. Can't wait to try your vitumbua, Mayuri! They look wonderfully light and fluffy inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy,I use the pan for so many of the healthier fritter or bhaji recipes. Less frying that way. I am sure you will love vitumbua.

      Delete
  2. This recipe is similar to south Indian recipe Mayuri....... Use of coconut milk gives unique flavour and taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Sharanya. However, most of the East African coast has a strong Indian, Yemeni and Omani influence. The prominent taste is coconut.

      Delete
  3. I was waiting with a baited breath to see your bread. So different and unique. Thank you for a lovely bread and for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ansh, Initially I was wondering if my paniyaram pan is a griddle.But was assured when I actually checked out the meaning of griddle. Vitumbua is unique and tasty and a bit healthy except for the sugar in it :)

      Delete
  4. I have had something like this before but they were Chinese, love the pan and would love to try these too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara,my niece bought the pan online from amazon in Canada so am sure you will find one in US. Lovely dessert or breakfast idea. My kids use to have it with jam.

      Delete
  5. It looks like appe..will have to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Moumita it is like appe.... do try out the recipe.

      Delete
  6. Love your Vimtumbua bread Mayuri...thanks for sharing - they sure look nice and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pancake balls sound delicious! You did a great job explaining how to make them. I've never had anything like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, they are pretty easy to make. Try it out and am sure you can buy the pan from Amazon.

      Delete
  8. Orange and chocolate do go well together so yummy with these pancake bread balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy, I nearly made it my meal. Love the orange and chocolate combination.

      Delete
  9. These look amazing! I want that pan! What a wonderful recipe and the story behind it was a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I'm sure the pan is available online or any excuse to make a trip to India, that's where I got mine from;)

      Delete
  10. Oh my, these look so good it makes me want to run out and buy a pan just so I can make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy... your comment brought a wide smile on my face!

      Delete
  11. Love love love this new 'appe' version Mayuri! Never thought that a place in Africa would have their own version. These Vitumbua are waiting to be tried in my house (seriously!) ...I love the coconut milk in the batter ..this is so me...I love coconut! - thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like the appe / paniyarams of India...coconut milk version is very tempting, Mayuri :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, those look wonderful! And the list of pans that I want for bread experiments is growing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting recipe.. looks like Indian appe

    ReplyDelete
  15. its like our sweet appe but little twist in it, love to try this

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those coconut rice pancakes look sooooooo fluffy and delicious. Thanks for sharing this lovely bread.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea !! Thanks for these recipe

    ReplyDelete
  18. With the coconut and cardamom I can imagine how delicious these are, Mayuri! Wonderful! And thanks for teaching me about yet another bread I've never heard of. Love how much I learn from all the Bread Bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very delicious dish, a little similar and a little different from the Indian paniyarams, going to make this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mayuri, Can I bake them in the oven in a muffin tray?
    I do not have a griddle pan.
    Would love to make them as I have not had them since I
    left my beloved Africa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams