639.Pesto Roasted Potato Salad

Where are all the vegetables?

      Our Shhh Cooking Secretly group (started by Priya Suresh) decided on #Summer Salads as the theme for the month of April. Summer has come early in India. Here in Kenya we are suppose to have the long rains. However, due to drought conditions, vegetables are scarce and forget about getting exotic herbs, mixed salad leaves and all that.

I was partnered with Shobana Vijay of Shoba's Delights. I gave her pasta and mango to come up with a summer salad.She prepared a mango avocado pasta salad. Check it out here

     She gave me potatoes and herbs like basil or thyme as my secret ingredients. I couldn't find any fresh basil or thyme at the shops in Mombasa and I didn't want to use the dried ones for the salad. So I decided to use another herb that we get plenty of and that is coriander (cilantro). I was thankful to Shobana for not giving me exotic vegetables or fruits to use as it would have been difficult to source them. 

    As I'm typing out this post, its pouring outside! So I'm thinking shouldn't have prepared the salad a few weeks ago, I made it as soon as I got the secret ingredients. Maybe if I'd waited I may, just may have found all the ingredients I needed. 
However, the salad is all done and consumed. Considering the shortage, I think I've managed to dish out quite a healthy and filling salad.





PESTO ROASTED POTATO SALAD
Serves 2

10-12 baby potatoes, washed thoroughly
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp coarse pepper powder
½ tsp salt
1 medium size avocado
8-10 black olives
1 tomato
2 tbsp chopped spring onion

For the Coriander Pesto:
2 cups chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
½ cup cashew nuts
2 cloves of garlic
1 green chilli
¼ cup parmesan cheese
¼ -⅓ cup olive oil
a generous pinch of sea salt

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Make sure that the potatoes are thoroughly clean. I tend to keep a toothbrush to scrub the potatoes.
  3. Cut the potatoes into half.
  4. Put the potatoes in an oven proof dish.
  5. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper over it.
  6. Mix well.
  7. Roast the potatoes in the oven for 15-20 minutes or till done.
  8. Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them cool slightly.
While the potatoes are roasting get the pesto ready:
  1. Add coriander, parmesan cheese, garlic, chilli,salt and cashew nuts into a food processor.
  2. Process till the coriander is finely chopped.
  3. Add olive oil little by little and process in short spurts.
  4. Remove the pesto into a jar. Add a bit more olive oil on top so that the coriander doesn't turn black.
Finally put the salad together:
  1. Cut the olives into slices and add to the potatoes.
  2. Cut tomatoes into chunks and add to the potatoes.
  3. Peel and cut the avocado into chunks.
  4. Add coriander pesto, about 3-4 tbsp so that it coats the vegetable and fruits.
  5. Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately.
Tips:
  • I added chilli to the pesto to make it a bit more tasty. If you omit it.
  • Use any pesto of your choice.
  • I prefer to roast the potatoes with the skin. You can peel the potatoes before roasting if you don't like the peel. The peel is rich in fiber.
  • Add other vegetables of your choice like cucumber, bell pepper, spinach etc.
  • You may not use up all the pesto. Store in the fridge. Add more olive oil on top before you store it. Use it up in pasta, salads or sandwiches.
You may want to check out my other salad recipes:

potato salad
sweet potato and pasta salad
mango avocado salad
Sending this recipe to the following event:

shhh

Comments

  1. I am a Potato fanatic and this recipe is bookmarked to make soon!Yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Amrita, loved your salad too and its bookmarked.

      Delete
  2. Pesto of any herb is my favorite and so this recipe also seems good. Never tried pesto with potato. Will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Avin, am sure you will love it. I usually add it to any salad if I haven't made a dressing. It just makes the salads more flavourful.

      Delete
  3. That's a riot of flavors for sure! I am drooling at that salad... must try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Rafeeda, all my salads have to have a riot of flavours so I keep on adding all sorts of things to it...even leftover chutneys.

      Delete
  4. Yummy roasted potato salad its soo refreshing n filling salad..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prathima... it certainly is a filling salad, something you can have as a light meal.

      Delete
  5. Thats a very interesting and very flavourful potato salad, tempting to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the salad with addition of pesto..........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flavourful salad and looks yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potatoes with pesto sauce is an interesting combo.. Loved the salad spoon set too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams