662. Beetroot Appe

Love this recipe
   Its Monday and yes you've guessed right.. its #FoodieMonday #Bloghop day. Our #98th theme was chosen by Saswati who blogs at Delish Potpourri. Saswati's got a beautiful blog full of travel stories, a variety of recipes from different parts of the world and I love her desserts. She suggested #CWFB which means Cooking with a fellow blogger. For this theme we had a choose any recipe from a fellow blogger in our group. I have so many recipes bookmarked from all these members, it was difficult to choose which one to cook.

   Sticking to my healthy cooking as far as possible, I narrowed it down to 2 recipes that I've tried and made again and again. One is rava kara paniyaram from Saswati's blog and the other is beetroot appe from Sujata's blog Batter up with Sujata. I've made both these a number of times and the reason I decided to make the beetroot appe is because I had just bought some fresh beetroot. I made them for Sunday brunch and served it on a bed of baby kales. I've served both with different salads to make it into a wholesome meal. 

   Hubby and I are spending some time with our son in Montreal and its such a delight shopping at the fresh produce market and the supermarkets here. Its a treat for me especially after having experienced so many shortages back in Mombasa. Its music to the ears when I chop coriander and spring onions and I can hear the 'crunch crunch' sound. As I was grating the beetroot the crisp sound was wonderful. Sweet corn is in season. 

   I followed Sujata's basic recipe but added a few of my own ingredients too. 
Sujata thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe with us, my family love these appe whenever I make them.





BEETROOT APPE
Makes about 24
Recipe source:Batter up with Sujata

½ cup semolina or maize meal flour
½ cup oats
½ cup rice flour (or ragi flour)
2 tbsp flax seed powder
1 cup finely grated beetroot
1 cup yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
2-3 green chilli, finely chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
¼ cup chopped fresh spring onion
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp asafoetida(hing)
6-8 curry leaves
1 cup boiled sweet corn or mixed vegetables
¼ cup water

1-2 tbsp oil for making the appe


  1. Mix flours, oat, salt, flax seed powder, garam masala and baking soda in a big bowl.
  2. Add grated beetroot, chopped coriander, spring onion, corn, onion, ginger, chilli and yogurt.
  3. Mix it well. Add water if the batter is too thick.
  4. Heat a small pan over low heat.
  5. Add mustard and cumin seeds. As the seeds begin to sizzle add the asafoetida and the curry leaves.
  6. Pour the tempering (the oil mixture) over the batter. Mix it up well.
  7. Heat an appe or paniyaram(ebelskiver) pan over medium heat.
  8. Put a few drops of oil into each cavity.
  9. Spoon about a tablespoon of the batter into the cavities.
  10. Cover the pan and let the appe cook. The top part of the appes will appear shiny.
  11. Flip them over, add drops of oil again and let the underside cook till done.
  12. Repeat with the remaining batter.
  13. Serve the appe with your favourite chutney. 
Tips:
  • I've replaced the rice flour with ragi flour and the appe turns out equally good.
  • I've used white maize meal flour instead of semolina and the appe has turned out good.
  • Add vegetables of your choice.
You may want to check out some recipes from fellow FoodieMonday Bloggers:

Sending this recipe to the following event:

Blog Hop

Comments

  1. The beetroot appe from Sujata's blog Batter up with Sujata looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect Choice from Sujata Dee's healthy recipes...These look yum and tempting.Thanks for adding our recipe links in your blog.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saswati. Besides your rava paniyaram, this is the other recipe I make often for breakfast or as a light meal.

      Delete
  3. Really gorgeous looking appe... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and healthy Appe with Beetroot from SujataDi's blog. Thanks for adding our recipes in your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams