673.Vegan Mixed Berries Ice Cream

Just the right time to have ice cream

   It has been really hot for the past few days in Montreal. Its humid and just the kind of weather all Canadians enjoy. People are out walking, jogging, having picnics, swimming, sailing, lazing in the sun. Hubby and I want to be indoors as the sun is too much for us. My dad is here, his first visit to Canada. He is from London, so he too is enjoying the really sunny hot days. When I run for the shade, he thinks I'm mad. So I had to remind him that I get more than enough sun back home in Mombasa, so I'd rather enjoy the cool or cold weather.

   Anyway, its the right theme that Sarah Ellis has chosen for this months Fantastical Food Fight. The theme is Ice Cream. I went through so many options to make the ice cream for this theme, but the abundance of berries just kept on beckoning me. A couple of weeks ago, we saw this documentary on veganism. I'm not totally convinced to give up my dairy products...love cheese and yogurt too much. But the paradox is that my meat eating hubby decides not to became a vegetarian only but also decides to become a vegan!!!!!!!!! Yes, you heard me right; I'm still so so surprised. My chicken loving daughter too is trying out to go the vegan way!

   I'm a vegetarian, and now both are trying to convince me to become a vegan. My argument is that if Lord Krishna loved all dairy products right from butter to yogurt... it surely can't be harmful. However, everyone has the freedom to make their own choice. Now that father and daughter have found a new common passion-vegan-- he was complaining that I was not making enough vegan food for him. On a serious note, most of our basic Gujarati food is vegan except that some food may contain yogurt. 

   Keeping in mind my vegan hubby(and his snide remarks!), I decided against the rich creamy ice creams and decided on a vegan one. I'm glad I tried out this ice cream simply for the reason that its a guilt free and healthy dessert. And I love the beautiful colour that the berries have imparted to this delicious ice cream.





VEGAN MIXED BERRIES ICE CREAM
Serves 6-8

2 large or 3 medium bananas
2 cups of frozen mixed berries
¼ cup almond milk
2-4 tbsp cane sugar or maple syrup
a pinch of salt
  1. Peel and slice the bananas. Layer them in an airtight tin.
  2. Freeze the slices overnight or for 2-3 hours.
  3. Put the frozen banana slices, milk, frozen berries, salt and sugar or maple syrup in a food processor.
  4. Process the mixture.
  5. You may need to push down the fruit with the help of the spatula.
  6. Process till you get a smooth mixture.
  7. Scoop out the ice cream into a freezable tin.
  8. Let the ice cream freeze for 1 hour or so or you may serve the soft ice cream... your choice.
Tips:
  • Add any frozen fruit of your choice.
  • I used over ripe bananas so didn't need to add so much maple syrup.
  • Use vegan milk of your choice like any other nut milk or coconut milk.
  • Once the ice cream sets, its advisable not to re freeze it as it becomes really hard. So small batches are best. Once you have the frozen ingredients ready, this ice cream is really easy to make.
You may want to check my other ice cream recipes (not  vegan):
lemongrass and ginger infused pineapple coconut ice cream
Thandai Kulfi Ice Cream
Sending this recipe to the following event:



If you want to be a part of this group then click here.






Comments

  1. It's great that you can use almond milk for this! Looks wonderful and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I too loved the colour. Making some again today.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Mayuri, it looks like you are going to be vegan like it or not. At least you can comfort yourself with this lovely ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Wendy, I love my cheese and yogurt too much to become a vegan. Hubby too is finding it difficult to stick to a vegan diet. But the ice cream was yummy.

      Delete
  3. Now this is a killing one.the berries taste awesome in ice cream..and that bowl sure is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vaishali, its something I wanted to make for such a long time as we don't get berries like these in Kenya. Got the opportunity because of the wonderful theme.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I love this natural version. I can't have dairy anymore so this is the perfect flavor combination! --Traci, BurntApple.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Traci, am sure you''l like it. I've also made banana with peanut butter and its a healthy ice cream treat.

      Delete
  5. Such a vibrant color!! I have a similar recipe using frozen bananas and peanut butter. Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michaela I loved the colour and all natural. I've tried foramen banana and peanut butter ice cream and it turns out delicious.

      Delete
  6. I have been vegan for medication purposes for almost six months and I don't want to comment on it. Like you mentioned, it is personal belief, but I came back to my normal eating habits and mentally I am happy. Hehe... I love this "nice cream", it feels more like sorbet, but definitely much healthier, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a healthy ice cream this certainly is a good option and loved the flavours of the different berries.

      Delete
  7. Love that you did a vegan recipe - makes the Food Fight nice and balanced out! Plus you can't go wrong with berries for a summer treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Sarah can't go wrong with berries. If I hadn't done the vegan version it would have been a creamy berry ice cream.

      Delete
  8. Mayuri love the colour of this icecream. I wish I get the berries here. I am so tempted to make this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veena, sometimes my daughter gets the frozen berries in Bangalore, forgot the name of the supermarket, so I guess you would get them too in Chennai.

      Delete
  9. My family would love this recipe, and we're dairy-aholics. I'm glad you found a vegan ice cream that satisfies everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lauren, I too love my dairy, but the vegan ice cream was healthy and had it with any guilt.

      Delete
  10. mixed berries in anything is a delight. This reminds me I had made frozen banana ice cream once and never occured it is vegan! :-) Vegan and gluten free is something I learnt through blogs... :-) Goodluck with the new vegan family and no, I can never give up yogurt. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Famidha, mixed berries in anything makes it taste so good. My family, well the ones who decided to go vegan are not doing a great job :) they get tempted with dairy products.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams