705. Huevos Rancheros (Mexican Style Breakfast)

MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017

#80TH BLOGGING MARATHON

THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES
DAY:22

   As I was going through my files, I came across this recipe in the draft. I had completely forgotten about it. I had prepared this delicious and filling breakfast dish for the Blogging Marathon theme Breakfast for the month of August which I had to back out of as I got too busy with guests. It was during one of my visits to Jean Talon market in Montreal that I came across a stall that had made fresh corn tortillas. These were made with white corn and not the usual yellow corn. I bought a packet as I had planned to make Huevos Rancheros. Oh well, perhaps this recipe was meant to be a part of the protein rich dishes. As we are nearly ending this Mega Marathon, I've realized that I've got so many other recipes that I'd wanted to prepare for this theme. However, like this breakfast dish, the others will appear in some theme or the other in the coming future. 

   What is Huevos Rancheros? Well, its a Mexican breakfast or brunch. The tortilla is fried, more like shallow fried, and then topped with refried beans or rice, salsa or guacamole or both and fried or scrambled eggs. Basically Huevos Rancheros means ranchers eggs. I read that left over refried beans or rice were served along with the eggs to make it into a filling and wholesome meal for the ranchers. It was definitely a filling and delicous meal. One can add grated cheese on it but I didn't. 

   I have used chipotle in the refried beans. Its got a different smoky earthy taste and its not too hot. What is chipotle? Chipotle is made from red smoked and dried jalapeños.Usually wood is used to create the smoke. The smoked and dried chipotle is then used to add to a variety of sauces or powdered to make chipotle pepper powder.

   By the way, have you ever tried taking photos of your prepared dish for the blog when the family is already at the table waiting for the meal? I have plenty of times and the result you can see... all the props were forgotten in the kitchen!
Oh well :)

Protein sources in this recipe are eggs, beans, avocado, corn 


By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I'm just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source. 






HUEVOS RANCHEROS 
Serves 8

8 Corn Tortillas (I bought ready made ones)
2 cup cooked red kidney beans
1 medium onion, finely chopped
½ cup fresh tomato puree
1 tsp garlic paste
¼ cup water
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp red chipotle powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coriander powder
1 cup ranchero sauce
2 small or 1 large avocado - peeled and cut into slices
½ cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
½ cup chopped spring onion
8 large eggs
1 tbsp oil + extra for the tortillas
Oil or butter for fried eggs

  1. First prepare the rancheros sauce. Check for recipe here.
  2. To prepare the refried beans, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
  3. Add onion and stir fry till it becomes soft. 
  4. Add garlic paste and stir fry for a few seconds.
  5. Add tomato puree, water, salt, paprika, chipotle powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
  6. Partially mash the cooked beans and add to the tomato mixture.
  7. Cover the pan and let the mixture cook for 5-10 minutes.
  8. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spread a bit of oil over the pan.
  9. Put one tortilla in the pan. Let it cook till small bubbles appear.
  10. Flip and cook the other side adding little oil. 
  11. Keep the fried tortilla on a plate.
  12. Repeat steps 9-11 with the remaining tortillas.
  13. Keep the tortillas warm in the oven at low heat till you prepare the eggs.
  14. Add some oil or butter in a frying pan over medium to low heat.
  15. Crack an egg and fry it.
  16. To assemble the huevos rancheros take one fried tortilla. Spread about a tablespoon or two of the refried beans over it.
  17. Put the fried egg on top of it.
  18. Put a few avocado slices. Sprinkle coriander and spring onion over it. Sprinkle some salt and chipotle powder over it. Serve with rancheros sauce.
  19. Repeat steps 14-18 with the remaining tortillas and eggs. 
Tips:
  • Can serve also guacamole, some refried rice, green salsa sauce. 
  • Eggs can be scrambled instead of fried.
  • Nowadays wheat flour tortillas too are used for this dish.
  • If you don't have chipotle powder, then use normal red chili powder.

My Protein Rich Dishes so far:

Day 1 - Mixed Dal Paddu
Day 16 - Bean and Veggie Pot Pies

Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 22:





Sending this recipe to the following event:



Comments

  1. The Mexican style breykoiks absolutely delicious and I love eating it without the eggs. PS it's always the same with me , busy taking pics while they are waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipes in drafts are life savers and this one is quite unique. Interesting mexican dish. Will try this for my son. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving this platter and could gobble it down . Excellent flavours and well presented .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That surely looks very elegant!..I have tried some Mexican and always found it much like our own cuisine and so is quick to make..this one sounds like an interesting combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a delicious filling meal. I agree with you on drafts. I become so happy when I see a perfect recipe in drafts folder..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mexican breakfast always makes a wholesome and healthy breakfast to start a day.. Looks lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Havent tried Huevos rancheros yet but its in my to do list for a while. Such a super filling Mexican dish, now am tempted to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recipe in drafts in such a blessing Mayuri! Love huevos rancheros...one if my favourites. Yours looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL about the family waiting and us clicking! My daughters are trained now they tell me you deal with the pics and they disappear with their food.
    BTW this is the kind of food my daughters like and I guess I will be making some of your dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Havent heard of this dish. But sounds very easy simple. Shoukd try this mexican cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams