White Dhokra/ Idra/Idada

Kemcho? Avo maare gher. ( How are you? Welcome to my home)

   March was when the Shhh Cooking Secretly group (started by Priya of Priya's Versatile Recipes) ventured out to cook some Gujju (Gujarati) food. The general misconception is that Gujarati food is sweet. Yes we do use sugar and jaggery but it has to be a balance of both sweet and sour. Modern times with much health awareness, many Gujarati homes do not use sugar or jaggery in their daily cooking. 

   The land of Lions and Legends has countless varieties of dishes. As a Gujarati I can make out from which region the food has originated. For example kadhi made by Patel Community maybe so different in taste and texture from the one made by a Shah. Besides the slight variations, Gujaratis are so proud of their ever popular snacks. Some snacks prepared are steamed like dhokra, muthias, arvi na paan, khichdi to name a few. Khandvi batter is cooked with no oil. Oil is used to smear on the surface to spread the batter and for tempering(vaghar). Then we have the fried snacks like gathias, bakharwadis, chevdo, gotas, bhajias etc. And not forgetting our famous travel food theplas, khakhras and handvo. Gujaratis readily adapt to any type of cuisine but I must warn you we tend to make it 'gujjufied' meaning we add our spices to make it taste like Gujarati food. Gujaratis take their food very seriously. No wonder most of us spend so much time in the kitchen. Hot breakfast, lunch, fresh snack and then dinner. And don't forget the in between farsans or snacks. 

   Today I'm not going to give your facts and figures about Gujarat as one can easily find it on the internet. I'm so proud to be a Gujarati.Gujarat the land of dandiya raas, garbas, dhokras and welcoming people. Today I'll share a few facts about my family. Patels till today will proudly mention the village they come from (even though we are not born there or lived there!). I come the village Umreth which is in the Anand District. After Umreth comes the famous pilgrimage place Dakor where the famous Ranchhodrai Temple is located (on a clear day we can see the flag of the temple from the ancestral home's top floor). My grandfather was born and brought up in Umreth. It is believed that his eldest brother was the chief of the area. As a young man, he decided to travel by ship to Mombasa, Kenya. During the British Rule, Asians were employed to work on laying the railways and at the newly constructed railway stations (called the Lunatic Line from Mombasa to Kampala). My grandfather got a job as a police at one of the stations. After the British left, he opened up his own business. My father and his siblings were all born and brought up in Kenya. My siblings and I too were born and brought up in Kenya. My grandmother was born and brought up in the village Sokhada (Kheda District). My mum was born and brought up in the village Koyali which is near Vadodara. I still have aunts, cousins, nieces and nephews who live in the villages. My children have visited all three villages, including Deva and Kanjari (both in Kheda District). Deva is where my father in law was born and brought up. My mother in law's family came from Kanjari. In spite of us growing up outside India we still follow the traditions and cultures of India. It was very important for my kids to understand where their maternal and paternal families come from.

   My partner for the Gujarat Cuisine was Poonam who blogs at Annapurna. Her blog has a wide variety of traditional and International dishes. What I love about her blog is the step wise pictorials, which makes it so easy to follow a recipe.  I gave her wheat flour and tuvar dal as her secret ingredients and she gave me rice and sesame seeds. I'm so glad she gave me those ingredients. Though I make white dhokra (also known as Idra, Idada or khatta dhokra) often, I had not as yet posted the recipe on my blog. So when Poonam suggested rice and sesame seeds, the first thing that came to my mind was idra. Usually prepared when we make aam ras and puri, I make it sometimes as an evening snack or light dinner. 

   I prefer to top the dhokra with the tempering and some like to prepare the vaghar and then add the dhokra pieces into it. Its then gently stirred using a flat spatula and served hot. You may even enjoy hot dhokras with some oil. To enjoy the latter version, make a very thin layer of the dhokra. 

Poonam has prepared a very delicious looking and healthy Dal Dhokli using the ingredients I gave her. Please check out her recipe.







my steaming device


so delicious with garlic chutney
WHITE DHOKRA/IDADA/IDRA
Serves 4

¾ cup rice
¼ cup urad dal, without the skin (split black moong)
½ cup sour yogurt
¼ cup water
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp chilli paste
1-1¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp eno (fruit salt or kharo)

To sprinkle on top:
¼ - ⅓ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper

extra oil for greasing

For tempering or vaghar:
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds (tal)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
a generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
8-10 curry leaves (limbdi)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

2 steel or aluminum plate -6" or one 8" plate

Preparation of the dhokra batter:
  1. Soak rice and urad dal separately in warm water for 6-8 hours.
  2. Remove the water, wash the rice and dal separately.
  3. Using a bit of the measured yogurt, first grind the urad dal to a fine paste.
  4. Then using the remaining yogurt grind the rice to a paste that is not too fine or too coarse. 
  5. Mix both the pastes. Add fenugreek seeds. Mix well.
  6. Cover it with a lid or cling film and leave it overnight or for 8-10 hours to ferment.
  7. The batter should be thick and fermented.
  8. Add water, salt, ginger, chilli pastes and oil. Whip it gently to mix.
To steam the dhokra:
  1. Get your steaming device ready.
  2. Add water quarter way full.
  3. Place the steaming tray or ring, whichever you are using.
  4. Cover the pan and let the water become hot.
  5. In the meantime, grease the steaming plate with some oil.
  6. When the water becomes hot, add the kharo or Eno into the batter.
  7. Mix it well.
  8. Pour the batter into the prepared greased plate.
  9. Sprinkle red chilli powder and pepper powder over the batter.
  10. Place the plate on the steaming ring or tray.
  11. Cover and steam for 10 minutes.
  12. Open the lid and remove the plate with dhokra.
  13. Let it cool  down completely before you cut the dhokra into pieces.
To prepare the temper or vaghar:
  1. Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat.
  2. When it is hot add mustard, cumin and sesame seeds.
  3. Let it crackle a bit.
  4. Add curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves.
  5. Mix with a spoon.
  6. Add asafetida and mix well.
  7. Pour the vaghar or tempering over the steamed dhokra.
To serve:
  1. Cut the dhokra into squares or diamond shapes and serve with a chutney of your choice.
  2. I love serving it with green or garlic chutney
Tips:
  • I always use Eno fruit salt to make the batter fluff up. However, feel comfortable to use kharo if that's what you use for dhokras.
  • Sometimes ready made white dhokra flour is available. In that case you mix it with yogurt and leave it overnight. However, I've never used that as I feel that soaking the dal and rice produces much softer dhokras.
  • To serve them warm just warm them up in a microwave oven or steam them again for 5 minutes.
  • If you're using a smaller plate then divide the batter by two.
You may want to check out other Gujarati Snacks:
Papdi no lot or khichu



Sending this recipe to the following event:












Comments

  1. Idra or rice dhokra is a new dish to me di and it sounds so very flavorful and healthy. Would try this out very soon and share my feed back with you..you have done full justice to the ingredients...lovely share !

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look super delicious and inviting. A healthy option for snacking,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are healthy Shobha. And thanks.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Mayuri. Loved reading about Gujarat and your family. White dhodra looks so soft and fluffy. Recipe sounds a little like idli batter -- will have to try it out some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pavani, the batter is a bit like idli batter but we add sour yogurt and all the spices in the batter.

      Delete
  4. Mayuri I am drooling right now, These looks so tempting and inviting loved the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW…that’s too tempting & appetizing !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Majaa maa chun, Mayuri. Tamey kem cho? Reading about the Lunatic Line; so much history yet to be discovered.

    I love White Dhokla (or Idli with tempering, as I think of it). Actually, I prefer it to Khaman Dhokla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) hu bhi majaa ma chun! I love both kinds of dhokra and yes there's still much to discover or read about in the history of the world.

      Delete
  7. Omg, rice dhokras looks absolutely prefect, am bookmarking this gluten free dhokras to give a try soon. My rice loving family will definitely enjoy this ultimate dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priya do let me know how the dhokras turn out.

      Delete
  8. These dhoklas look so lovely and spongy. I am sure they tasted delicious too. Like you I too love tempering on my dhoklas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nayna. The tempering too has a unique taste. Sometimes my mum use to complain that I add too much of the seeds ;)

      Delete
  9. I have heard about this recipe but never tried till now. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarking this and would love to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please try it out Priya and let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  10. I looks like a combination of many recipes..looks like dhokla but ingredients rice and urad Dal seems like idli...but the dish looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lathiya it looks like idli but the difference is the addition of spices and sour yogurt to the batter.

      Delete
  11. It was good to read about your family Mayuri........ Interesting dhokla recipe.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post with rich cultural information on Gujarati cuisine. The steamed dhokras look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I once taste this dhokla at a Gujju friend's house and seriously felt in love with the amazing flavors of it. I wonder how come you hadn't posted it but I guess that's the same story with us bloggers, we tend to forget the most common recipes to post. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sapana, I guess everything happens at the right time :)

      Delete
  14. Wow, this post is nice, my younger sister is
    analyzing these things, therefore I am going to let know her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi!,I really like your writing so so much! percentage we
    keep in touch extra approximately your article on AOL?
    I require an expert on this area to solve my problem.
    Maybe that's you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never made dhokra from scratch. So, I was tempted to try this recipe out when I saw it. I'm so glad I did, as they turned out better than I thought they would. We had them with green chutney for lunch...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for trying out the recipe. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the dhokras.

      Delete
  17. The white dhokra looks so delicious. I have tried this in gujrati farsan shop but never tried it at home. Now I guess I would as the recipe looks easy👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avin its pretty easy to make... try it, you'll stop buying the shop ones.

      Delete
  18. I make khaman often, but dhokla isn't very common at our place. Whenever I do make dhokla, I use idli batter to do it - I don't grind the batter separately for the dhokla. The next time, I should use your recipe. Your dhoklas look so perfectly soft and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya... I find that if I'm not pressing for time then I prefer to soak the dals and make dhokras as they turn out much softer.

      Delete
  19. I make khaman often, but dhokla isn't very common at our place. Whenever I do make dhokla, I use idli batter to do it - I don't grind the batter separately for the dhokla. The next time, I should use your recipe. Your dhoklas look so perfectly soft and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved the write up and it was so nice to know about the village you belong to and the ancestors. So these posts truly make you nostalgic, makes you take a walk down the memory lane. I agree about making things "Gujjufied" and I dont mind it either. Dhoklas are such a healthy snack options and trust me when I received my set of ingredients and I had decided that I wanted to do a farsan or snack, Khaman dhokla was my option but then I went ahead to do the Gotas, which by the way you have mentioned about - Dakor, being closer to your village. This theme was truly spectacular, vivid colours, amalgamations of snacks and main course with desserts! Loved it. I am bookmarking your dhokla recipe to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidya my blog is also like my diary, jotting down events, memories and so much more...so hopefully one day my kids and family will have time to read the posts. I've tasted Dakor na gota...soo chili but tasty. Make them at home with less chilis.

      Delete
  21. The white dhokra is delicious, tastes good as a snack. Nice share.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my favourite dhokla. I have not made it for ages. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This version of dhokalas with rice and urad dhal is very new... they are like snowy a look.. love to try this version as rice and urad dhal are our staple food..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please try the recipe and let me know how it turns out. Am sure you'll like them.

      Delete
  24. I like white dhokla instead of besan. This dhokla looks soft and fluffy. Nice share!

    ReplyDelete
  25. First I thought its Khaman Dhokla, but no !! Surely gonna try this version di :)
    Looks so lovely and spongy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasmita, do try them out and let me know if you liked it.

      Delete
  26. White Dhokra looks absolutely delicious, perfect for tea time snack . Will try your recipe soon

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally love how you have placed up your ancestry and keeping in touch with them... one thing I admire about your generation is this... somehow, the current and the future generation are not keen with keeping in touch with their roots... Have always seen a yellow dhokla, so this white one sounds interesting... steamed snacks are always healthy and delicious too...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love love love the dokhla. my aunt used to get the dokhla flour when she came from Ahemadabad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Koiloreo/ Kuilodde/ Koilori (Goan Pancakes)

337.Green tomato jam

535.Buckwheat savoury pancakes/uttapams